So my cooking streak continues.
One night last week I wanted to make something for dinner but after staring into one empty cupboard after another, I almost gave up.
Finally I decided to make the most basic roast chicken into which I could just throw in vegetables and potatoes for a meal. Except, the vegetable bin was empty too. Clearly not one of the perks of your mother being away.
After a mini tantrum directed at myself for not buying groceries, I figured I’d come up with some alternate way to make the chicken and I did.
Was too tired to take pictures as I went but it was so simple.
For the chicken I used:
- 2 whole chicken legs
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp MD mango chutney
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- 1tbsp water
- 1 tbsp margarine
- Washed and patted the chicken dry with a napkin to get rid of excess water (trust me that makes a difference). Made about 3 slashes on each piece with a knife for the seasoning to seep through since I had no time for marinating.
- Because chicken takes ever so long to bake from scratch I browned both sides on a skillet till it was half cooked.
- Then I mixed up the garlic, ginger, tomato puree, salt, pepper and chutney with the water till it resembled a thick sauce.
- Chucked the chicken onto a baking dish greased with margarine and poured the chutney mixture over the chicken. Using my fingers I pushed pieces of mango in through the cuts I had made.
- Baked on oven mark 5 for 30 minutes.
For a recipe I had never even seen or tasted anywhere before (but a slightly different version does exist apparently) it came out pretty good. The sugar in the chutney caramelizes to give this taste I cannot even describe. It also ruins the baking dish.
Had it with crisp buttered chapattis.